Monday, March 23, 2009

Monster in a Box

When I took this picture last night of (most of the drafts) of my book as I've worked on it over theses past couple years, that was what popped into my head: Monster in a Box. This was actually the title of a movie by the late Spalding Grey, where he talked about writing a book that just got bigger and bigger, but he couldn't seem to find an end to it.

Though I have an ending for mine, I keep adding to it, so it grows and grows. But now it's time to stop adding, and prepare it. When I first started the book, I was planning on self-publishing it. I figured that since I was unknown, my time would be best spent learning typesetting, and print it myself. Through an amazingly happy turn of events, my book will be published by an actual publisher (Wiley). I just got the contract in the mail yesterday to prove it.

I know I am stunned, and absolutely happy. I've been writing books since at least the age of four. And soon I will have a real live book. The only thing is that it's due at the end of this month (ack!). I'm going to have to focus over the next week on getting it in the right format, so I don't horrify Wiley by turning in a mess. So I guess for the next week and a half, if you don't hear much from me, it's because I'm grooming my monster to not be so scary in the light of day, finally out of the box.

9 comments:

Gem said...

Teri!! This is wonderful news! Oh, and the monster doesn't look too bad; it just looks like the receptacle for creative ideas. I'm so excited for you! If you go on a book signing tour, you simply MUST stop by Houston! :-)

sandra said...

Congratulations! When you promote the book don't forget to come to the Bay Area of California.

Anonymous said...

Great news!! I can't wait to read it!! Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

WOW, I'm sooooo excited for you Teri. I can't wait to get my copy. P.S. I really enjoyed listening to your interview with Mixed Chicks. I wish you all the best!

Yayoi Lena Winfrey said...

At last!

Your Hip Hapa,
Yayoi

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I can't wait to read it!

Sara said...

congrats! can't wait to read it!

sandra said...

good news. There is an online self publishing site called: www.scribd.com also. I don't know if Wiley would approve given you have a contract but it is worth pursuing with them to how you can promote paperless as well. Good luck. Looking forward to the book.

Maria said...

Good luck Terry! I think you're more nervous than you should be. You already have followers ready to purchase your book. I know its going to be great. I already enjoy your site, youtube video(s), and blog so I know your book will be just as articulate.